Modern eyeglass lens coatings, such as DuraVision® Platinum by ZEISS, provide great benefits thanks to their optimized hardness properties. However, caring for and cleaning the lenses correctly is very important for everyone who wears eyeglasses. This is because no optical equipment is exposed to the same mechanical strains and environmental influences as eyeglass lenses.
Why is caring for eyeglass lenses so important?
- High quality eyeglass lenses are an investment. A financial investment not only in better vision but also in a better outlook on lifeand your own safety.
- Incorrect eyeglass cleaning can cause microscopic scratches - which are initially invisible - on the eyeglass lenses. Gradually, the eyeglass lens wears down, the potential of even the best lenses is diminished and vision is ultimately impaired.
- Scratches cannot be removed from modern plastic or mineral eyeglass lenses. The lenses have to be replaced.
- Rinse eyeglass lenses at home under running, lukewarm water. With a high performance coating, the water droplets can easily be shaken off or they can be wiped dry with a lens microfiber cloth.
- For more stubborn soiling, appropriate eyeglass cleaning sprays can make thorough cleaning easier when used in conjunction with a lens microfiber cloth.
- When out and about, cleaning with a lens microfiber cloth is fine, but the best solution is to use pre-moistened lens cleaning wipes from ZEISS, which are proven not to damage the lens.
- Approximately every six months, you should take your eyeglasses to your eye care professional for cleaning in an ultrasound bath. This also gently cleans the eyeglass frames.
- Do not clean eyeglass lenses with clothing, towels or paper.
- Do not use commercial glass or household cleaners for cleaning eyeglasses.
- Do not put eyeglasses down on the lenses, always on the frames. Always store eyeglasses in an eyeglass case wrapped in a microfiber cloth to avoid damage by shaking the case.
- Do not expose eyeglasses to high temperatures of more than 176 °F (e. g. in a sauna or on the car dashboard in sunlight).
- To avoid damage to the eyeglass frames and thus to the centering, do not put glasses on casually with one hand.
The pre-moistened, micro-fine tissue from ZEISS ensures effective and fast eyeglass cleaning when you are out and about. Extensive testing by independent institutions (COLTS) show that it has better cleaning performance than ten alternative products - with no scratching or strain to the lens. The wipes have an exceptionally fine structure to ensure exceptionally gentle cleaning of all eyeglass lenses, even with high quality coatings. It is pre-moistened with a unique combination of two active agents which are also used for medical equipment cleaning. These harmless agents are free from aggressive cleaning substances and artificial fragrances. And the best thing is that the ZEISS lens cleaning wipes can also be used for cleaning all types of sensitive optical surfaces (e.g. camera lenses, binoculars and digital displays) easily and with no streaks.
ZEISS lens cleaning spray ensures thorough and yet gentle cleaning of eyeglass lenses. To clean the lens, simply spray the liquid onto the microfiber cloth and clean both sides. Optical surfaces can be cleaned gently and thoroughly in exactly the same way. The spray contains no aggressive cleaning substances that could damage the lens, the coating or the optical surface.
The classic lens cleaning product in true ZEISS quality: the ZEISS microfiber cloth for effective and gentle eyeglass care every day. Used in conjunction with ZEISS lens cleaning spray, dry or after rinsing the eyeglasses under running lukewarm water, the ZEISS microfiber cloth is the number one choice for caring for all eyeglass lenses that have a long performance life.
Tests by COLTS, an international leading quality test laboratory within the optics industry, have shown that its cleaning performance is the most effective compared to ten alternative lens wipes – it cleans gently without causing scratches.
More gentle: the surface and coating of prescription lenses remain in sound condition even during a long-term test.
More thorough: no other tested lens cleaner removes dirt as effectively.
ZEISS is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of spectacle lenses, and is committed to delivering maximum precision and comfort. ZEISS designs and produces lenses, instruments and measurement systems, as well as retail concepts and technology services that continue to raise the bar in vision care.