As an engineering group, ZEISS Metrology Services is a business partner for your success. We act as an extension of your quality department to bring customized solutions to resolve your issues and get parts out the door – with results you can trust.
Programming and Inspection
Our inspection labs are outfitted with the latest industrial metrology equipment and software. Our engineers use ZEISS CALYPSO software to provide you with anything from a simple inspection report to a turn-key measurement plan installation.
Onsite Engineering Support
Equipped with a team of 50+ experienced applications engineers, we can bring the solution to you. Onsite support brings a ZEISS expert to work hands-on with your team on a plan tailored to your needs.
We provide customized consulting beyond the scope of standard ZEISS programming classes and made-to-order for your company. Contact us with your exact needs, and we can provide one-on-one consulting or design a seminar specifically for you. It can be held at our regional technical centers or held on site at your facility.
Reporting and Statistical Analysis
With ZEISS PiWeb software, we can provide you with the solution to your data mining needs. PiWeb acts as a statistical analysis tool to visualize results, monitor machine repeatability, and perform gage studies. Our engineers can bring a global data mining tool to your facility to fully optimize your manufacturing capabilities.
These components create challenges such as specific industry-mandated inspection protocols, safety concerns, complex design geometries and tight tolerances. Years of work with OEMS and manufacturers allowed us to develop hardware, software and inspection protocols to meet these requirements.
We can report on blade thickness at any point of the nominal profile, torsion/twist angle, blade length parallel to the chord line, stacking point, center of gravity, mean line, form error of the profile, pitch between blades, throat distance between blades and platforms, maximum length and thickness, corner radius and thickness of the leading and trailing edge. For impellers, we offer advanced best fit algorithms. With blisks, we can provide stacking axis, mean line, and true position calculation. For vanes, we offer accurate measurement and analysis of leading and trailing edges
Inspection is challenging due to complex design geometries, five- and six-axis machining processes and tight tolerances. Our engineers have years of experience with these applications, using tested and proven quality processes.
- Involute Gears—Involute Profile: Internal/external, spur/helical, gear segment, conical, beveloid
- Involute Gears—Straight Profile: Internal/external, serrated spline, parallel key spline
- Worm Gears—K-Charts: ZI, ZA, ZN, ZK
- Gear Hobs: Full and tangential profile
- Bevel Gears—Straight/Spiral Profile: Ring and pinion, electrodes, dies, hirth couplings
- Rotors—Male and Female: Profile, lead, pitch, root and tip plots
These components can be difficult to measure because of thin plastic walls, tiny and many geometrical details and issues associated with the conventional way of destructively cross sectioning the part or assembly. We wrote the book on nondestructively scanning of these types of parts with our METROTOM CT CMMs and software. We offer:
- Assembly inspection: nondestructive digital X sectioning
- 3D leak path and mechanical fit analysis
- Wall thickness and warp analysis
- 3D color-mapped dimensional report to CAD
- Forensics analysis
- 3D void analysis
Aerospace: Composite fiber orientation analysis, NDT for castings and pistons, reverse engineering and simulation studies for assembles components, electrical component inspection, first article inspection performed under AS9012, large parts measurement of flaps and wings and blades, reverse engineering of pieces or assemblies, free-form scanning, and very small and micro components.
Automotive: Gear services for the detailed and precision measurement of transmissions. Body or interior molded parts measured with our laser-scanning systems. Inspection of surface finish, external dimensions, holes, fuel injectors, microparts, pistons, cylinders, camshafts, engine components and performance racing applications.
Electronics: We use tactile inspection to locate the part followed by vision or white light inspection for the rest. We measure flexible circuits, connectors, BGA sockets/pins/balls, PCB, pins, dies, stencils, lead frames, Jedec carriers or trays.
Forensics: Non-contact inspection with CT and the careful handling and scanning of damaged parts.
Medical Device Manufacturing: We measure assemblies, electrical component, implants, dental implants, stents, tubing, hearing aids, nozzles, needles and pins, dental screws, surgical blades, syringes, valves, microparts, and surgical tools.
Micro Parts: We use tactile probing with small styli and light measuring forces and ultra-precision CMMs to tackle the toughest jobs.
Plastics: We use CT to speed up tool corrections and save money. We offer visual and other solutions for the molding process. Defect analysis, wall thickness analysis and assembly analysis provide the material properties and quality of the first shots. We do process analysis and void analysis. We specialize in measuring small and soft plastic parts, molds, connectors, and implants.
Art: We help with inspection applications for unique and precious, rare items.
- To understand your industry and application challenges, we start with a non-binding consultation (in person, phone, or video conference) to determine requirements and expectations.
- We review any part drawing blueprints with the highlighted desired dimensions. If available, we use your CAD model in native or neutral format.
- We then determine part fixturing needs, part quantities and the project timeframe. Non-disclosure, confidentiality and security issues such as ITAR are considered.
- Once we receive your parts and materials, we determine the best technology for your application and then develop a draft inspection plan.
- We quote in detail the requirements, expectations, and schedule. Upon project approval, we complete the inspection plan, any necessary fixturing and test the setup.
- Once it passes, we begin inspection. Reports are generated in formats such as CALYPSO, Excel, PiWeb, etc. We have a peer-to-peer review of the results and then deliver them to you for review.
- Once a satisfactory solution is provided, we invoice you and return all parts and material. And, we offer a complete back-up of measurement results.